Pages

Monday 5 May 2014

Portuguese Custard Tarts

With Mother’s Day approaching I can’t help but think of the women who had a part in raising me. One of my earliest memories as a child is walking to the local store with my Vavo to buy fresh bread. One of the perks of these outings was that my Vavo would always buy me a treat, usually a custard tart. To this day Portuguese custard tarts are still one of my favourite desserts.

The lack of a local Portuguese bakery and my love of baking inspired me to learn how to make custard tarts.  This has become my go-to dessert recipe and a common request among friends and family. I hope that you enjoy making and eating them as much as I do. Enjoy!

Portuguese Custard Tarts - Pasteis de Nata
Baked egg custard in a puff pastry shell


Ingredients:

1 cup milk + ½ cup milk                                       
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup white sugar
6 egg yolks
1 package frozen puff pastry sheets, thawed  (President’s Choice puff pastry sheets are the best) 

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C.) Lightly grease muffin cups with butter and line bottom and sides with puff pastry.
  2. In a saucepan over medium heat, combine milk (1 cup), cornstarch, sugar and vanilla. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens.
  3. Place egg yolks in a medium bowl. Slowly whisk 1/2 cup of hot milk into egg yolks. Gradually add egg yolk mixture back to remaining mixture, whisking constantly.
  4. Cook, stirring constantly, for approximately 5-10  minutes, until mixture has become very thick.
  5. Fill pastry-lined muffin cups with mixture and bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until crust is golden brown and filling is lightly browned on top. 
  6. Remove tarts from oven and turn oven to broil. Broil tarts for 1-2 minutes until tops are as dark brown as desired.
Makes 12 large tarts or 24 mini tarts

1 comment: